Monday, November 1, 2010

A Very Fishy Halloween

So it seems like I've been unable to dive or do muay thai or anything active for ages now, but it's only been 5 days, what the heck?! Between my stupid stomach wound (that hurts when my love handles jiggle, sadly!) and the cold (flu?) I have, I am not feeling so hot.  BUT, somehow, I still found the time and energy to go to our local Halloween party, thrown by Fishy Burger Island, a 24 hr restaurant & bar.  I was maybe the only sober person there, but still had tons of fun.

Halloween definitely snuck up on me this year, because Thai people don't celebrate Halloween, therefore there were absolutely zero decorations or any other external signs that normally (for me) lead up to the holiday.  It was very weird.  I found time to throw together a simple costume, though, by modifying a silly headband and a pair of tube socks.

the supplies, as purchased




ta-da!  I hope you can tell that I was a hermit crab... the shell definitely kept getting in the way, haha!  I eventually shed it to play some games.  My crab claws were also a definite handicap.  I was part of team "DMT No Idea," comprised of, you guessed it, some of the DMTs.  I thought we should've scored higher, but eh, that's life.  We played some pretty silly/crazy games, some of which I'll have to document for future use:

1. While gripping an empty plastic cup with your teeth, run forward, pick up a stick, spin around it (head down to the stick) two times, run to the large bucket of water, scoop up water (without using your hands!) and run back to your team, pouring water into your bucket and passing the cup to the next teammate (again, via teeth).  No pictures of this relay event, sadly.

You get a team pic, instead! Me as a hermit crab, Lala as Hula-ween, Imran as pumpkin head (?), Thomas as Clark Kent, and Nut as Dracula.

2. Once handed the spool of string with a spoon tied to the end, thread the spoon up one pants leg, around your neck, down the other pants leg, and hand it to the next teammate.  The first team to thread it through all its members first wins.  I had long (rather tight) jeans on, so I changed into Lala's skirt very quickly (didn't flash anybody, don't worry!) and we placed 2nd or 3rd, I think.



3. The third event was a solo event, so we chose our team captain, Lala (Lara) to rep us.  She had a string tied around her waist, with a pencil dangling from her back.  She had to lower the pencil (no hands) into various bottles.  This event was very funny to watch.



4. Everybody got balloons tied to their lower backs, and stood back-to-back, holding the shoulders of the person in front.  At "go!" we had to pop the balloons using our hips, and once all the middle balloons were popped, the person at the back (Thom) had to run forward and have the front-most person pop his balloon.  Very fun.

competing against the Divemaster team, to our left


5. Another solo event, involving pulling a condom over your head and inflating it with your nose.  Unfortunately, everybody's condoms broke save one guy's.  Hilarious to watch.



6. The last event was the mummy wrap with toilet paper.  An oldie but goodie.



I think I've forgotten one event, but oh well.  Here are a couple more pics (more on fb, of course):

adorable yellow boxfish Heidi
I didn't realize Dracula likes to use straws to suck blood!


Happy Halloween, everybody!  Hope I get to post again soon, with more diving pics, once I can get back in the water!  I am borrrrrrrrrrrred because I finished my most recent resort task (updated the map of the resort).

No comments:

Post a Comment