Wednesday, June 30, 2010

first two weeks on the island




I'm finally updating! I've been here at Koh Tao for about two weeks now, though it doesn't feel that way. My concept of time is all off; island life means there ARE no days of the week.

This is an unfinished blog entry I wrote two Thursdays ago:

"I've been here on Koh Tao for four full days now. When I first arrived, I was pretty exhausted from traveling 6 hours in a car (from Bangkok to the Chumpon pier) and 2 hours on a speedboat/catamaran, with lots of waiting time in between, whilst receiving my monthly gift from mother nature, blechhh.  I traveled with my boss, her friend, and my aunt. I had a bit of a hard time conversing with this older generation for the looooong car ride, and I definitely missed my friends!

My boss had me stay at the luxury/boutique resort, Montra, to keep my aunt company while she's here (they're leaving tomorrow morning). I am now spoiled and can't honestly say I'm looking forward to staying in the dive accommodation at the closer-to-nature Coral Grand resort, but I know I need to stop being a city girl. Spiders and millipedes? Natural wood floors filled with holes (from which bugs can emerge, into my room -- eeeeeeeeeeeeek!)? Err.. bring 'em on!

I was put right to work, taking photos with a fancy Nikon D200 DSLR for promotional purposes. Why? I don't know -- I don't have any experience! I tried my best, and a few of the pics are useable, haha. It was difficult because the boss wants perfect shots, at both resorts, highlighting the pool, the divers, the guests, the beach, and the buildings. With lots of cloudy, rainy periods, this is extra difficult. :P"

I was here with the boss and my aunt for a week, during which I did a lot of brainstorming regarding the restaurant overhaul, the new dive shop, details for the wedding, etc. I was not expecting so many problems that I have to help fix; it's a little overwhelming. My tentative schedule WAS to work at Montra's front desk three days out of each week, and at Coral Grand three days, with one day for rest. However, I've found it difficult to learn so many different areas at once, so I've been focusing on the dive shop and haven't really been at Montra or the restaurant.

All the dive staff, save the two receptionists, are non-thai-speaking foreigners, which is both good and bad. Good because I can communicate easily with them (and I'm picking up all kinds of random European accents!), bad because it means that there are two very distinct groups of staff that are often at odds or have communication problems and cultural misunderstandings, and I'm supposed to be part of both sides, which I have found difficult so far. The Thais and the dive staff have different ways of looking at things, but must work together, which doesn't always go smoothly. It's also difficult because I was here with the boss for a whole week, and am indelibly associated with her, so both groups treat me differently. It doesn't help that I've been asked to make many changes/improvements, and people generally don't like change (especially if it means they have to work harder...)!

So though everybody is fairly friendly, and I've had passing friendships with some of the guests, I've been lonely. Luckily, I have been keeping busy, with photographing, translating, diving, menu-changing, customer-surveying, etc. We're moving the dive shop down to the beach, next to the restaurant, which is a big project, and it means that the dive staff is no longer allowed to order food from outside. This is a problem, because they don't like our restaurant, for good reason. I am tasked with helping to improve service, consistency, atmosphere, and the lunch menu, and it's frustrating because, apparently, "Thai time" means everything (especially changes) happens very slowly. BUT, I have been a little productive, and I'm learning patience, and how to approach people with constructive criticism (this is much harder for me when I have to speak in Thai).

I was the official translator and photographer for a wedding we had this past Saturday, for a very nice Australian and British couple. I was pretty worried that I wouldn't cut it, but they were very happy with their pics (I took 900! SO glad Trang suggested lightroom as a sorting/editing tool).

Err.. what else did I want to talk about? Oh, so my accommodations are pretty good; they gave me an air con room. When high season hits, they may move me, which is a bummer, but totally understandable. I am getting a little tired of living and working and eating at the resort, but I have no monies! It's really difficult to get around in a timely manner, so I'm thinking about renting a motorcycle. They're really dangerous, but I miss my independence (and my car!). I've done a bit of partying (once the boss left, of course), and have started getting a little more comfortable with the dive staff -- it's nice that they try to include me. Two in particular, Dave and Toom, have been awesome and have looked after me and given me rides to the bars when the staff has parties (which is often!). They're very nice, but I don't like inconveniencing anybody (for rides and such).

Oh! The diving! I haven't mentioned the diving! Even though the visibility is not at its best right now, it's still amaaaaazing. I've seen some very cool marine life, and I am getting better at diving. I will finish my advanced course soon, move on to Emergency First Rescue, Rescue Diver, then Dive Master (hopefully!). It's a little hard to find time to dive while also working hard (because I would feel guilty just diving all the time), but I'm making it work. I've had 14 dives already (2 per boat trip).






The middle pic is of Pat/King, the boss's friend's daughter, who I dove with for a few days.

















Sascha, Freddy (the doggy), Dave, Toom (at the wedding, with Thai dancer Thoy)
(more pics are up on fb)

In a few days, I'm going to Bangkok to help at a dive expo. I don't know how well I'll be able to sell, but I think I'll learn lots. Tomorrow I'm going to assist P'Gat (the only Thai dive instructor) with a snorkeling trip for 70 Thai people! He tells me that it'll be a workout -- they all want to snorkel, but can't really swim, so I'll probably end up towing as many as possible back to the boats, eek!

I'm sad to have missed Connie's bridal shower. I miss home. I miss all of you lovely people who are reading this! But don't fret. I am also enjoying myself and am learning how to juggle projects and solve problems. I'm also getting a nice tan ;D And, of course, the island is beautiful and the sea air is doing good things to my health (I hope so, anyway!)

Phew, long entry. Sorry! I'll try to update more often with small entries.

1 comment:

  1. This entry was indeed long! My comment will not be (as I'm typing on my phone, and it's not that comfortable). Island life--ahhh! Lucky duck! Btw, does the resort have any evacuation plans in place for emergencies? I was just wondering because I care about your safety, that's all. :]

    ReplyDelete