Thursday, September 9, 2010

TTM: Best Expo so far!

So I hope I'm not jinxing it, but this Thailand Travel Mart is the best expo I've worked at, so far.  It's different from the others I've been to in that we're not trying to sell packages to consumers; we're trying to build relationships with travel agents and booking agencies and such.  There are major differences, in that they're as interested in us as we are in them (so no fighting to reel customers in), and they understand the business, so it's a much more relaxed atmosphere.  Another big difference is that I get to make my sales pitch in English, and they love me for it, because the "sellers" are mostly Thai people (with varying levels of spoken English abilities) trying to sell to English-speakers (the "buyers") from all over the world (Europe, certainly, but US, Asia, as well, and the common language is always English!).  So.  I feel at ease, and proud that my English is so good (which is a silly thing to be proud of... but it counts a lot at this expo, hahaha).

Yesterday there was a "on-site appointment -- Sellers meet Buyers" session where we basically ran around in a giant room where all the buyers were set up at tables, trying to get them to set an appointment to visit our sales booth today and tomorrow.  It was ... odd.  It was also funny to see sellers (like me) fighting to get the seat in front of more desirable (bigger) travel agencies.  The company from Spain was impressed with my Spanish, yay!

Also also!  SO much good food!  So much good FREE food!  There are stands set every few meters with free drinks and lots of tasty pastries (hah. I made a rhyme) and then a delicious lunch buffet (only special VIP sellers/buyers are allowed, but we just take turns using the VIP pass, muahahah.)  Totally worth having to wear a suit all day.  On that note, I look like such an adult, it's weird.

I'm feeling immature today, though, without remorse.  One of the buyers from Scandinavia kept pronouncing the name of one of the Thai island, Krabi, as "crappy" (it's supposed to be grah-bee) and I couldn't quite suppress a snicker, and then I was trying not to crack up at my own immaturity.  Yea.  I'm, like, 10 years old.

I saw this tiger at another business' booth and snuck over to take the pic.  Just as the pic was taken, the staff from the booth returned, and they gave me the funniest look (sort of a stink eye).  I just kind of slunk away...

with the boss (middle) and her son, Fong, in our sales booth


Tomorrow is the last day of the expo, then I get to go spend time with my relatives.  We are going on a short trip to Hua Hin (south of Bangkok, halfway to Koh Tao) and I'm excited to spend time with my cousins and aunts and uncles, and also to go to Hua Hin, 'cause I've never been.

I'm feeling tired, because heels are not nice to feet that are used to running around islands bare... but also pretty happy :)  Not going to let the looong journey back to Koh Tao ruin my mood until Tuesday, hahha.

2 comments:

  1. You look so professional! I totally get what you mean about being proud of speaking English well. Silly but true :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you finally enjoyed an expo :)
    I wish you had taken pictures of the food and drinks lol. I love looking at what you eat!

    and you do "look" like an adult. heehee.

    Love you!
    rie

    ReplyDelete